The University of Hawaii at Manoa School of Pacific and Asian Studies seeks applicants for a tenure-track position as assistant professor with East Asia focus (position number 83675) to begin August 1, 2008, pending availability of funds.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Teach undergraduate courses with a broad, inter-area perspective on Asia as well as courses on specific areas or comparative themes
- Teach graduate courses that complement the present resources in the program in terms of area and approach
- Teach courses that include Korea as a primary or secondary area
- Teach interdisciplinary courses on contemporary society and culture in Asia
- Maintain an active program of research and publications relating to one or more geographic areas of Asia
- Contribute to the long-term growth and expansion of resources for the Asian Studies Program
- Undertake other activities as requested by the Asian Studies Program.
Minimum qualifications: Completed Ph.D. from a college or university of recognized standing in social sciences, humanities, or arts research; demonstrated research about East Asia; research and communication competence in an East Asian language; teaching experience in Asian studies courses for the general student; demonstrated competence as a teacher and advisor; background in culture studies or popular culture.
Desirable qualifications: Experience in comparative area studies; ability to teach about Korea; experience as a mentor or adviser; organizational skills in research and program development; potential to contribute to the diversity of voices about Asia and the Pacific; ability to live and work in a multicultural setting; ability to function in an interdisciplinary environment.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply, submit a cover letter indicating how you satisfy the minimum and desirable qualifications, official transcripts, and three letters of recommendation. All submitted materials become the property of the School. Send applications to:
Search Committee Asian Studies
University of Hawaii at Manoa
School of Pacific and Asian Studies
1890 East-West Road, Moore 416
Honolulu, HI 96822
Direct inquiries to Dr. Ricardo Trimillos: telephone 808–956-6085; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2008, and will continue until the position is filled.