The Literature Translation Institute of Korea invites applications for participation in its 2014 Residency Program for Translation Research in Korean Literature. The program provides opportunities to international translators to stay in Korea, come face to face with the flow of Korean literary and creative culture, and gain a deeper understanding of the works they work on. The experience is intended to facilitate the production of outstanding translations.
The program is open to translators, scholars, and other translation/publication professionals residing outside Korea who meet one of the following conditions:
- Have at least one translated work (literature/cultural/arts) published outside Korea
- Have been the recipient of a Korean or international prize for the translation of a Korean literary, cultural, or artistic text
- Have made a significant contribution to the dissemination of Korean literature overseas.
Those who have benefited from this program within the last three years (2011–2013) are not eligible to apply.
The program provides financial support in the form of living expenses (around 3 million KRW per month) and return airfare. Program activities include meetings between translators and writers, literary tours, translation seminars, and the like. The program will span the period June 2014 to February 2015 with successful applicants expected to stay in Korea for one to two months within the program period.
To apply, submit the following documents by e-mail to Alex Baek (email@example.com):
- Residency Program application form (fixed format, can be downloaded from the LTI Korea Web site, http://www.klti.or.kr)
- Personal statement (any format, around three pages of A4 size)
- Translation research activity proposal (any format, around four pages of A4 size)
- Agreement to the collection of personal information (can be downloaded from the LTI Korea Web site).
The application deadline is May 30, 2014. Those selected will be notified individually. For further information, contact Alex Baek by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +82-2-6919-7725.
The Literature Translation Institute of Korea is a government-affiliated organization that “aims to disseminate Korean culture and literature throughout the world in line with the government’s efforts to shape Korean literature in the world culture.”